Historical Images of the Nisenan Families of
the Nevada City Rancheria, circa early 1900's
Click on a thumbnail to see a larger view -
use the arrows at the left/right sides of the larger image to navigate...
The land upon which the Rancheria was created was the property of the Tribe's Chief, Charley Cully. In 1887, Cully, with the help of the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West and other concerned Nevada County citizens, obtained a land allotment protecting 75 acres of ancient Tribal land for the members of the Tribe. The Nevada City Rancheria was created by executive order from President Woodrow Wilson in 1913 when upon Cully's death, the land was converted into a federally recognized entity; the Nevada City Rancheria.
In 1964 when the United States Congress illegally terminated the California Rancherias, Nevada City Rancheria was one of them. Upon termination and loss of the land, the Tribe also lost rights to its ancient burning site and burial grounds. A group of concerned citizens, including Archeologist, Donald Storm, saw to it that the burial grounds were protected. The Nevada City Rancheria Burial Grounds is now under the care of the Nevada County Cemetery District.
The families of the Rancheria can tie their history back to land that in 1851 became Nevada County. They can document their ancestry from the Bureau of Indian Affairs, genealogy, County histories, newspaper articles and the United States Government. Their oral histories are just as rich and are currently being documented for posterity's sake.